Internet Philippines.Com

Pinoy forum and online news directory. Providing help to Filipinos here and abroad.

Change of Name Surname in NSO Birth Certificate – Fees, Documents required, Forms, Where to File and steps to undertake

Google Advertisements

If you are looking to change your NSO birth certificate name either for reasons of wrong spelling, typographical error, technical error, change name, change surname and the like, below is a complete guide on how to do that. Please note that we have included the sources where you can find these information because we took it from the official website of the NSO.

I have also enumerated the different requirements for typographical error correction below as well as the source where we found the information. I hope this helps Pinoys having the same problem as my nephew, the reason why I took some search using Google to find out more information regarding National Statistics Office (NSO) or Census problems as stated above in my title.

Republic Act 9048
Act Authorizing the C/MCR or Consul General to Correct a Clerical or Typographical Error in an Entry and/or Change of First Name or Nickname in the Civil Register Without Need of a Judicial Order


Republic Act (RA) 9048 authorizes the city or municipal civil registrar or the consul general to correct a clerical or typographical error in an entry and/or change the first name or nickname in the civil register without need of a judicial order.

RA 9048 amends Articles 376 and 412 of the Civil Code of the Philippines, which prohibit the change of name or surname of a person, or any correction or change of entry in a civil register without a judicial order.

President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo approved the act on 22 March 2001. With the law taking effect on 22 April 2001, the Civil Registrar-General promulgated Administrative Order No. 1 Series of 2001, which was published in the newspaper in August that year.


RA 9048 allows these corrections:

correction of clerical or typographical errors in any entry in civil registry documents, except corrections involving the change in sex, age, nationality and status of a person.

(A clerical or typographical error refers to an obvious mistake committed in clerical work, either in writing, copying, transcribing, or typing an entry in the civil register that is harmless and innocuous, such as a misspelled name or misspelled place of birth and the like, and can be corrected or changed only by reference to other existing record or records.)

change of a person’s first name in his/her civil registry document under certain grounds specified under the law through administrative process.


(1) The petitioner finds the first name or nickname to be ridiculous, tainted with dishonor or extremely difficult to write or pronounce;

(2) The new first name or nickname has been habitually and continuously used by the petitioner and he has been publicly known by that first name or nickname in the community; or,

(3) The change will avoid confusion.


Whether it is for correction of clerical or typographical error, or for change of first name, the petition may be filed by a person of legal age who must have a direct and personal interest in the correction of the error or in the change of first name in the civil register.

A person is considered of legal age when he is eighteen years old and above. Thus, a minor (less than eighteen years old) cannot by himself file a petition, either for correction of clerical or typographical error or for change of his first name.

Only the following persons are considered to have a direct and personal interest in the correction of clerical error or change of first name:

Owner of the record that contains the error to be corrected or first name to be changed

Owner’s spouse, children, parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, guardian, or any other person duly authorized by law or by the owner of the document sought to be corrected.


The petition, whether it is for correction of clerical error or for a change of first name, should be accomplished properly and in the prescribed form. Section 5 of RA 9048 and Rule 8 of Administrative Order No. 1, S. 2001 require that the petition should be in the form of an affidavit, hence, it should be subscribed and sworn to before a person authorized to administer oath.

Basically, the petition must contain the following facts or information:

Merits of the petition
Competency of the petitioner
Erroneous entry to be corrected and proposed correction; first name to be changed and the proposed new first name


The petition shall not be processed unless the petitioner supports it with the required documents. The supporting documents should be authentic and genuine, otherwise, the petition shall be denied or disapproved pursuant to Rule 5.8 of Administrative Order No. 1, S. 2001. The following supporting documents are admissible as basic requirements:

Certified machine copy of the certificate containing the alleged erroneous entry or entries

Not less than 2 public or private documents upon which the correction shall be based. Examples of these documents are the following: baptismal certificate, voter’s affidavit, employment record, GSIS/SSS record, medical record, school record, business record, driver’s license, insurance, land titles, certificate of land transfer, bank passbook, NBI/police clearance, civil registry records of ascendants, and others.

Notice and Certificate of Posting

Certified machine copy of the Official Receipt of the filing fee

Other documents as may be required by the City/Municipal Civil Registrar (C/MCR)


As in the case of correction of clerical error, no petition for change of first name shall be accepted unless the petitioner submits the required supporting papers, as follows:

All the documents required of the petitioner for the correction of clerical error shall also be required of the petitioner for change of first name.

Clearance from authorities such as clearance from employer, if employed; the National Bureau of Investigation; the Philippine National Police; and other clearances as may be required by the concerned C/MCR.

Proof of Publication. An affidavit of publication from the publisher and copy of the newspaper clippings should be attached.


The C/MCR and the District/Circuit Registrar (D/CR) are authorized to collect from every petitioner the following rates of filing fees:

One thousand pesos (P1,000.00) for the correction of clerical error

Three thousand pesos (P3,000.00) for the change of first name

In the case of a petition filed with the Consul General (CG), the fees are the same for all Philippine Consulates. The fees are the following:

Fifty U.S. dollars ($50.00) for the correction of clerical or typographical error

One hundred fifty U.S. dollars ($150.00) for the change of first name

A migrant petitioner shall pay an additional service fee to the Petition Receiving Civil Registrar (PRCR).

This service fee shall accrue to the local treasury of the PRCR.

Five hundred pesos (P500.00) for correction of clerical or typographical error

One thousand pesos (P1,000.00) for change of first name


The general rule is that petition shall be filed with the Local Civil Registry Office (LCRO) where the record containing the clerical error to be corrected or first name to be changed is kept. Included in this general rule is the case of the Office of the Clerk of Shari’a Court where records of divorces, revocations of divorces, conversions to Islam are kept and where some Muslim marriages are registered.

However, in case the petitioner is a migrant within or outside the Philippines, meaning his present residence or domicile is different from where his civil registry record or records are registered, he may file the petition in the nearest LCRO in his area. His petition will be treated as a migrant petition.


10 Steps to be undertaken in the correction of an entry in a civil registry document

1. Contact a lawyer who will prepare the Petition for correction of entry.
2. Lawyers shall file the Petition in the Regional Trial Court. The fee for filing the Petition in the Regional Trial Court is P160.00.
3. The Petition will be raffled and assigned to a branch of the Regional Trial Court.
4. The assigned Regional Trial Court shall issue an Order for the publication of its Order in a newspaper of general circulation for three consecutive weeks. Fee for publication varies.
5. The Order contains the date of the first hearing.
6. During the first hearing, the lawyer will present compliance of the jurisdictional requirements like publication of the Order in a newspaper of general circulation.
7. After establishing compliance with jurisdictional requirements, the petitioner will be presented in Court to testify. The Court may assign the Clerk of Court to receive evidence.
8. During the hearing, it is possible that an oppositor may appear contesting the Petition. If no oppositor appears, the Clerk of Court will receive the petitioner’s evidence.
9. After presentation of evidence, the Court will rule on the Petition.
10. If the decision is favorable, the Court will order the Office of City Registrar to correct the entry in the civil registry document (birth/marriage/death certificate of the petitioner).


Tags: , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Change of Name Surname in NSO Birth Certificate – Fees, Documents required, Forms, Where to File and steps to undertake”

  • Maricon Apostol says:

    Hi po pweede po ba magtanong kung anong requirements po ang dapat ko gawin ditto sa Place ko habang nadito pa po ako sa labas , ng ikasal po kasi ako dito nakuha po naming ang marriage contract naming kaya lang di pa po ako nakapag change name sa surname ng husband ko, pauwi po ako next week diyan sa Pinas at diyan ko po pababago ang Surname ko ano ano po ba ang dapat kung gawin o dalhin na documents maliban sa marriage certificate ko?, para ma e- in code po sa NSO ang marriage certificate ko at saka diyan na din po ako sa Pinas mag renew ng passport ko. Paano po mag pa register at ano po ang documents na kailangan ko?

    Salamat po sa site na to sana po reply nyo po ako at matulungan ng maaga.
    God Bless You us.

  • cecilia bandul says:

    february 8,2014 10:30 pm may tanong lang po sana ako may anak kasi ako naka apilyedo sa akin gusto ko sana i transfer sa apelyedo ng asawa ko mga magkano po ba ang gastosin

  • Tina says:

    Gusto ko pong malaman kung magkano ang change of middle name kasi yung anak ko gusto kong palitan ang kanyang middle name at isunod sa apelyedo ko.Hindi po ba affected ito sa school record nya?

  • Miksie tradillo says:

    I know such person po na paiba iba ng edad sa birth certificate na kinukuha sa local municipal office. Nade detect po ba ito khit hindi ireport sa inyo? Concerned citizen lng po.

1 2 3 4

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

BSP Exchange Rate Today: